Timeless Elements of Traditional Lighting
Traditional Style Lighting is inspired by the past, mainly the decorating and design styles of the 18th and 19th centuries which gives this design staying power. Sure, over time some design fads come and go, but traditional pieces will always be elegant and sophisticated and last the test of time and that’s what makes today’s traditional light fixtures the perfect complement to any style home.
Traditional Lighting Designs have a grand and elegant flair and add an extra element of charm and sophistication to any room. Whether your home is casual, mid-century modern, or has a farmhouse vibe, traditional lighting styles create an undertone of familiarity and comfort that help balance lighting styles throughout the home.
What to Shop for in Traditional Lighting Fixtures
Look for aspects such as ornate crafting and elaborate detail when you shop for traditional style fixtures. The use of stately wrought iron or brass framework, beautifully turned wood, and classic candlestick forms tell a story of enduring beauty and craftsmanship.
- Chandeliers are a uniquely noticeable part of traditional style design, especially ones festooned with crystals. Bronze, brass, and gold are commonly used materials in traditional decor, not sleek modern looking metals like chrome or nickel. Many traditional chandeliers also feature candle shades or candelabra bulbs to exude elegance and sophistication or the look of an antique chandelier.
- Wall Sconces add both dramatic accents and spot lighting to side walls or bookcases and will highlight those “dark areas” in room. Most lighting collections include matching sconces to compliment chandeliers and other fixtures, so you can create a cohesive look.
- Bath Lights can elevate a traditional style bathroom in beauty and functionality by utilizing bath vanity lights, small style chandeliers as well as wall sconces. Look for an updated look on an old classic style that uses clean lines and crisp fresh looking glass shades to soften bright bulbs and create a warm spa like atmosphere.
- Table and Floor Lamps in the traditional style are designed with high-quality, classic bell-shaped lampshades in ivory or white. However today, many traditional lamps and lampshades are styled with floral patterns or other elegant designs to fit your style preferences. Traditional buffet lamps, add that touch of classic luxury and are brilliant in a formal dining room.
- Tiffany lights are a great option for traditional lighting in a home. They are intricately detailed, and because they’ve been popular for so long, it’s fair to say they’re timeless. Many signature characteristics of tiffany style lighting such as geometric design, natural materials and art glass incorporate flawlessly into a traditional style home to add beauty and intention to the space. Tiffany style lighting comes in a variety of lighting fixtures: lamps, chandeliers, pendants, and more. These are great options to keep the traditional feel of the home, and to bring a little color into the room at the same time.
- Outdoor Lighting can elevate the exterior look of your traditional home. Allow your home to make a statement with beautiful classic carriage lights or timeless wall lanterns that will glow and create a welcoming feeling to your residence. Help your guests find your home with a beautiful outdoor post light right at the curb. Illuminate your front door, your garage door, or patio entertaining space with outdoor wall lights. Outdoor ceiling mount or hanging lights are great ideas for porches, patios, porte-cocheres, and other covered areas.
A final tip when purchasing traditional lighting is to try to stay away from overly simplistic sleek fixtures, as they will probably look too modern for your traditional space.