Flush & Semi-Flush Basics
Flush Mount or Semi-Flush Mount lights are likely the most common lighting fixtures in your home. They are versatile, don’t require much space, and are available in a multitude of styles and finishes. Close-to-ceiling lights are natural choices for closets, hallways, and small rooms. Just because you don’t have the space for a large, elaborate light fixture, doesn’t mean you have to settle for plain, boring lights. So how do you pick the perfect ceiling light? Follow these easy steps:
When to use Close to the Ceiling Lighting
- For ceiling heights of 8’ or less where people walk underneath the light, you don’t have much choice other than a Flush Mount ceiling light
- If you need general illumination (sometimes called “ambient light”) Flush or semi-flush are good choices to brighten an entire room.
- Close-to ceiling lights are perfect for lighting closets, bedrooms, hallways, entry ways and bathrooms
- Adventurous designers are picking semi-flush fixtures for dining areas too. Just be sure you are getting at least 300 watts of light and the styling is distinctive. Never pick a functional or boring light for a prime location.
When NOT to use Close to the Ceiling Lighting
- If you need to focus the light to highlight your room’s artistic features, instead of ambient light, designers recommend recessed lighting or even track lighting.
- If your ceiling isn't wired for a light fixture, you can hire an electrician, or instead choose a Table Lamp or a Floor Lamp.
- If you would like to also move air, consider a ceiling fan with lights, especially above your bed to make sleeping more comfortable during the dog days of summer.
- Task lighting in the kitchen or above a bar is normally left to pendants or recessed lights. Task lighting in your home office best handled with a desk lamp
- For a large room with higher ceilings, consider a larger fixture like a chandelier which provides both more light and a focal point to your room.
Flush vs. Semi Flush Lighting
Once you have decided that a close to the ceiling light is the right pick, you can save time if you can eliminate half the options by knowing if you need a Flush Mount or Semi-Flush. A flush mount naturally sits directly on the ceiling, while a semi-flush hangs down several inches, leaving airspace between the ceiling and the fixture. Based on your ceiling height, you may be limited in what fixture you can install:
- For low ceilings (below 8'), you will want to pick a flush mount light fixture. (If you have a table or counter below the light, you can choose a semi-flush or even a chandelier)
- For ceiling heights of 9' to 10'), consider a semi flush mount light. Most hang less than a foot from the ceiling.
- For over 10' ceilings, you should consider chandeliers or pendants.
- A flush light fixtures work best in hallways, closets, bedrooms, or bathrooms.
- A semi-flush light fixture adds a nice touch to a kitchen nook or a smaller low-ceiling dining room.
Other Related Articles in How-To's & Tips...
There’s an epidemic out there, and it’s boring many into indifference. Does your space suffer from Flush Mount oversaturation?
What is flush mount over saturation? That’s a great question. Flush mount oversaturation is the unchecked use of overproduced ‘boob lights.’
Yeah, not exactly the way one likes to describe a light. In defense of decency, that is merely a borrowed term.
Don't test your luck with an opportunistic criminal. If your home is vulnerable, it will be far more likely to be intruded upon, ruining your sense of safety and security forever.
Fret not, as security steps like these are super easy to achieve. Stay Safe!
Bathroom lighting is an experience, often overlooked, that shapes the way you start your day. Having beautiful, and even, lighting is a great way to start off a day, whereas uneven lighting with harsh shadows can negatively impact one’s outlook - without them even realizing it.
For most, bathroom lighting is the first lighting they truly experience each day. In other words, it's how the tone for the day is set.
Have you seen this?
Flush Mounts On Sale
Semi Flush Mounts Category
Semi Flush Mounts On Sale
Top 10 Close to Ceiling Lights
View all Close to Ceiling Lights
View all Close to Ceiling Lights