Adding a Tiffany lamp can create a colorful focal piece for your room. Here are a few tips to care for your new tiffany light.
- New Tiffany Shades often are shipped with a thin protective sealer. This can be wiped off with a clean cloth when you unpack it.
- Cleaning in the future is the same. Wipe down with a clean damp soft cloth.
- To reseal your shade, you can wipe it down once a year with a good quality Lemon Oil. This will help seal the copper foil and will prevent glass from getting dusty.
- The beading that connects the glass pieces in Tiffany style lamps is copper foil; they no longer use lead based material. When the shade is being made, it is dipped in a solution that darkens the copper and takes away its shine.
Tiffany lamp buying tips
- LampsUSA only sells genuine Tiffany glass shades. But even true glass is sometimes mistaken for a plastic. Why? Because when you tap it it sounds like plastic. In reality it has this sound because of the construction technique. Art glass is poured out as a liquid into thin sheets allowed to cool then cut into different sizes and shapes. When the pieces of Art glass are totally encased in the copper bead, it tends to dull the sound.
- The beauty of Tiffany glass is in the multi-colored rainbow of attractive glass panels. Be aware of the colors and try to match them with your current décor. But remember, the whole point of having a colorful tiffany lamp or tiffany light fixture is to add a burst of color, so don’t be afraid to introduce new colors to your room.
- Consider using energy-saving CFL bulbs with your new tiffany shade. CFL bulbs work great with tiffany since most users want a little brighter, whiter light that will make the shade explode with color. And since genuine glass panels are thick, you need lots of light to penetrate these panels.
- Remember that Tiffany glass is made through a delicate process that cannot be turned into an exact science. This means that there will always be slight variations in color, even between two of the same lamps.