Accent Lamps Buyer's Guide
Discover the secret your designer may not want you to know about: art looks better with an accent light focused on it. With the correct kind of lamp, what used to be an overlooked piece in your living area is transformed to the central point. The subtle light that such lamps emit is perfect in highlighting key objects or focal areas in the room.
Besides just providing a beam of focal light, accent lamps can also look pretty as decorative pieces. Most of them come with decorative details so they already serve as a piece of decor to add beauty to your space. You just have to pick the right one for your specific need and purpose.
3 Main Considerations in Shopping for Accent Lamps
Aside from emphasizing a certain object or area in your space, accent lamps can also set the mood of the room. This will depend on the design as well as the kind of light that it emits. Here are three tips to help you narrow down your choices when shopping for accent lamps.
Just like all the other lamps, accent lamps come in a wide array of colors and styles. In considering this aspect, you need to come up with a strong statement of your individual style. You can mix and match the style to create something that is uniquely your own.
You might think that any amount of light will do since you will only be using it as a decoration rather than a functional piece. However, you also need to ensure that the lamp emits an adequate amount of light, particularly if you are planning to highlight a particular object.
This aspect is especially important if you will use the lamp as a piece of décor. Choosing something that is too large might overpower all the other elements in the room. On the other hand, purchasing something that is too small might defeat the purpose of having an accent lamp in the first place.
3 Most Common Accent Lighting Fixtures
There might be so many kinds of accent lighting in the market today, but three of them have stood out from among the growing pack.
Accent Track Lighting
This is considered to be the most flexible among all the other kinds. These lights can be positioned practically anywhere and them manipulated so that it is aimed in the desired direction. This can used along with other light sources such as lamps and sconces.
Accent Recessed Lighting
Such lighting fixture blends into its surroundings. They are mostly installed in areas where they can be hidden under cabinets, within bookshelves, or in ceilings.
Wall-mounted Accent Lighting
These lights are directly attached to a wall or other similar surface. They can also be positioned above or below the frame of a hanging.
Outside Uses for Accent Lamps
Accent lighting is not only something that can be used inside the confines of your home. There are outdoor light fixtures that can be used outdoors and help accent plants and statues or even just set the mood of the environment. Here are some forms:
- Halogen Accent Lights. These emit a strong and while light, making it a good fixture to highlight or spotlight objects.
- Accent Fiber Optics. These lights are perfect for illuminating paths and stairs as well as water features like pools and ponds.
- Accent Metal Halides. These let out a soft glow of light which makes them sufficient to light small areas in a subtle manner.
- Accent LED Lights. These are energy-sufficient and longer-lasting, two of the top reasons they have grown to be favored above all the others. They are also flexible in various lighting situations and fixtures.
5 Accent Lighting Trends
Trends come and go. Accent lights are no exception. This year, the in vogue lighting fixtures are those that meet today’s consumer demands of functionality and aesthetics.
- Simplicity Accent Lighting. With the current economy, homeowners are choosing quality above quantity. As a result, lighting designs take on a much simplified style with gentle curving frames, handcrafted accents, and etched glass shades.
- Metal Finishes Accent Lighting. The calm and cool look of metals is very popular in today’s interior designs. The most popular are nickel and bronze.
- Transitional Accent Lighting. This year’s lights are both pleasing and flexible. One of the innovations geared for this trend is the wall or ceiling mount options.
- Energy-Efficient Accent Lighting. Lighting makes up 11 percent of an average American family’s energy consumption, making it an ideal candidate for upgrading to energy-efficient fixtures.
- Layered Accent Lighting. The use of layers gives the space a warm and inviting feel. Dimmers are becoming more and more popular as homeowners enjoy the benefits of being able to control light levels.
Accent lighting is more than just a piece of décor; it brings about so many benefits. It can highlight your favorite piece without the need to spend too much for fancy lighting; it can allow you to showcase your individuality by choosing looks and designs that reflect you and your style, and finally, sets the mood of any room in the way that you exactly want to.
Other Related Articles in Buyer's Guides...
Take a trip back to 1920's Venice with delicate milk glass sconces in your powder room, or the regal elegance of an embellished Victorian crystal chandelier in your staircase or foyer. Bring a taste of medieval Europe to your dining room with a dramatic round iron chandelier. Most Vintage style collections span throughout time including ceiling lights, pendants, sconces, chandeliers and bathroom fixtures, as well as floor lamps and table lamps.
Have you seen this?
Accent Lamps On Sale
Browse All Accent Lamps
Top 10 Accent Lamps
View all Accent Lamps
View all Accent Lamps