Why Lighting Matters - Lighting Tips
Sure, we could tell you that Lighting is essential because without it, we are all sitting around in the dark. And we acknowledge that even poorly designed lighting lets you see. But lighting is really a "quality-of-life" issue. Do you want to feel proud of your home and do you appreciate how a well conceived space can make you feel better about today? At its core, effective lighting CAN make your life dramatically more enjoyable. Lighting impacts your mood. Poorly conceived lighting will create an instant negative vibe. And great lighting can lift you up without you even knowing why.
Lighting Changes Your Space
Lighting has a dramatic effect on our perception of the space we occupy and how we interact with it. Often we don't even notice it, we just know we like it. Lighting is sometimes an afterthought. Maybe because it is one of the last steps, or maybe because of budget over-runs in other areas, the lighting budget gets trimmed at the end. But lighting should be considered from the beginning when a space is being planned. And get an expert involved. How do you think some builders or designers make creating dramatic spaces look so easy? They all know the secret to drama and comfort is proper lighting.
4 Deadly Sins of Poor Lighting Design
Good lighting might go un-noticed, but you will know bad lighting from a mile away. Don't be that house that gets noticed this way. Don't commit these 4 deadly lighting sins
- Insufficient light - causes eyestrain, headaches and makes a rook feel dark and gloomy. Usually caused by insufficient wattage or poor placement of fixtures.
- Unflattering light - Symptoms are poor coloring, dreary rooms, nothing stands out. Plus we all want to look our best. let your light make you the star.
- Glare - Lights that are too bright or poorly positioned often result in glare. Makes reading difficult and causes distraction and disunity in the space.
- Energy Wasters - Today you CAN have attractive lighting that saves energy. Why burn hot incandescent bulbs all the time when more efficient options abound?
With a few lighting tips from the pros at Lamps USA you WILL achieve your lighting goals with impressive results.
Top 4 Reasons Why Lighting is Important to your Home
- Lighting Improves our Work Space - Reading, food preparation, hobbies and even primping demand proper lighting. Task lighting involved a focused intensity of lighting over your work area. Save you eyesight and get a good light. You are not getting younger you know!
- Lighting Keeps Us Safe Adequate lighting inside and outside helps us avoid costly accidents and gives us the peace-of-mind of enhanced personal security. Proper lighting is especially important on porches, walkways, staircases and foyers.
- Lighting Creates Drama Lighting can truly set the mood of your space. With the flip of a switch, your layered lighting can transform a room from a festive party, to a comforting sanctuary. Designers love to focus on the room’s best features or your favorite possessions.
- Lighting Enhances Décor Your beautiful furniture and favorite artwork can’t be fully appreciated if poorly lit. Good lighting is like an “instant- upgrade” to any décor. Good lighting allows for flexibility, a variety of light levels, and suitability to the purpose.
Other Recent Articles in How-To's & Tips...
Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease
6 OUT OF 10 HOMES in America have Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease YOURS MAY BE ONE OF THEM
Does your home suffer from the following symptoms:
- Cheap brass or painted fixtures that can't withstand winter storms or summer sun
- Unattractive Outdoor Lights that don't match the style of your home
- Plain “builder model” outdoor lights that are just too small
- (Front lights should be about 25% as high as your front door)
- The strange feeling that your old light fixtures are hurting your “curb appeal” and dragging down your home's value?
Bathroom Lighting Tips
Great Bathroom lighting is achieved from several layers of light. Vanity lights should be complimented with recessed, natural and if you have room, a semi flush light. .
6 Essential Outdoor Lighting Tips
Pendant Lighting Basics
Decorating with Lighting
Home Decor & Accessories
Space Saving Tips
Check out these easy solutions for controlling the clutter:
Flush & Semi-Flush Basics
Sconce Lighting Basics
Project Ideas Starter Kit
Decorative Lighting Tips
Comply w/California Title 20
The lighting-related goals behind Title 20 — passed in December 2008 — are to reduce average statewide electrical energy consumption by not less than 50 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor residential lighting, and not less than 25 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor commercial and outdoor lighting by 2018.
How to Choose Your Style
Lighting Tips Lamp Placement
- For reading, place lamp alongside your shoulder, with the bottom of the shade even with your head. Extra tall lamps should be moved back 2 feet if possible.
- Use several lamps in a room to avoid shadows and dark areas. (One standard lamp will illuminate 40-50 square feet.)
- Desk lamps should focus light on the work surface and be adjustable. The light should be about 15 inches from your desktop.
Tips for Lamps
Effective Kitchen Lighting
World's Best Lighting Glossary
Lighting Function Basics
Lighting Tip Articles
Lighting Tips for Seniors
CFLs perform best in open fixtures that allow airflow, such as table and floor lamps, wall sconces, pendants, and outdoor fixtures.
For recessed fixtures, it is better to use a reflector CFL than a spiral CFL since the design of the reflector evenly distributes the light down to your task area.If a light fixture is connected to a dimmer or three-way socket fixture, you'll need to use a special ENERGY STAR qualified CFL designed to work in these applications. Make sure to look for CFLs that specify use with dimmers or three-way fixtures.X
How to Recover a Lampshade
Once you purchase a new shade cover in a fabric and size that matches your existing lampshade, slip it over the shade and you're done! Updating your room’s décor, renewing an old lampshade, or providing a burst of color takes only minutes when you use a shade cover.
They are form fitting, removable and stretch to fit most lampshade sizes. They give your lamp and your room a whole new look, it is like getting a whole new lamp! Shade covers also protect brand new lampshades and keep them fresh for years to come.
How to Install a Chandelier
Install your light right, the first time with these tips:
- For this project we will need a Screwdriver and Wire Cutters.
- Go to the Breaker Box and turn off the power and lights. Make Sure light is off by checking the light switch.
Installing a Bath Light Fixture
Tips for your next home remodeling project. Remodeling your bath can be quick and easy if you follow these steps
See all the instructions here>
The 4 Light Home Makeover
Caring for tiffany glass
Tips on Gift-Giving
Energy Saving Lighting Tips
Dorm decorating tips
Choosing decorative lighting
Upgrade Your Lighting
Where to begin?
Kitchen Lighting Basics
Ceiling Fan Rotation Guide
Benefits of Standing Up to Work
Have you seen this?
Top 10 Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything