Sconce Lighting Basics
The term “sconce” implies an ornamental bracket fixed to the wall with an electric light or candle. Don't think of a french pastry; wall sconces have been used to light hallways and for general lighting purposes since their inception. Wall sconces can be used to suit the personal taste and décor of any room such as: hallways, bedrooms, stairways, dining rooms, living rooms and bathrooms. Wall sconces are also used in commercial spaces such as: museums, art galleries, trade show exhibits, offices, restaurants, taverns, hotel rooms etc.
Wall sconces are available in different varieties that suit personal tastes and your budget. They can also be used in a wide variety of styles that can have a lasting impact on your room. For example:
- The wall sconce can be used as a single enhancement or with pendant lights, chandeliers or flush mount lighting.
- The wall sconce can also be used with candlestick lights to add drama to your interior settings
- You can also coordinate the pendant lights with the wall sconces to maximize the lighting effect.
Wall sconces are generally placed at a height of 66in-72in above floor level. If wall sconces are used in a hallway, they are ideally spaced 8ft-10ft apart, and in pairs on opposite walls.
Some key aspects that you must consider before purchasing a wall sconce are:
- Evaluate the exact space to be illuminated
- The type of room ( hallway, patio, office space)
- Select a style that can enhance the placement of the wall sconces
- Color coordination with walls
It is advisable to conduct ample research when deciding a wall sconce. You can check with the local dealer and also compare price and quality with another dealer before deciding. Choosing an ALA Certified Lighting Specialist can also help decide the best style and function suitable to your space and lighting requirement. It is also important to buy only quality wall sconces because you are taking a lot of effort in matching the wall and room accessories and if your coordinated wall sconce does not last long, it will be a wasted effort.
Other Related Articles in How-To's & Tips...
As part of a recent interaction, a customer lamented the state of the world and the importance of feeling secure at home. As a result, LampsUSA (with the consultation of security experts) came up with some easy steps to ensure safety at home in this how-to, home security edition.
Have you seen this?
Wall Sconces On Sale
Top 10 Wall Lights
View all Wall Lights
View all Wall Lights