How to Recover a Lampshade
Simply purchase a new shade-on cover in an exciting fabric and at a size that matches your existing lampshade, slip it over the shade and you're done! Updating your room’s décor, renewing an old lampshade, or providing a burst of color takes only minutes when you use a Shade Cover.
They are form fitting, removable and stretch to fit most lampshade sizes. They give your lamp and your room a whole new look, it is like getting a whole new lamp! Shade Covers also protect brand new lampshades and keep them fresh for years to come.
How do I pick the correct size?
- Measure your shade. There are three dimensions you will need:
a) Top Dimension - measure across the top of your shade.
b) Bottom Dimension - measure across the bottom of your shade.
c) Height or Slant – measure from top to bottom of shade along the outside edge in a straight line.
- Shade Covers are sized Small, Medium and Large. Once you have your shade measurements, use the chart below to select the closest size and shape:
CONE SHAPE DRUM SHAPE Top Bottom Height Top Bottom Height Small 4-6" 10-12" 8-10" Small 6-8" 6-8" 6-8" Medium 6-9" 14-17" 10-12" Medium 10-14" 10-14" 8-10" Large 8-11" 15-18" 13-15" Large 12-15" 12-15" 10-12"
For example: You have a drum shaped shade and it's measurements are 10" across the top, 12" across the bottom and 11" slant height. Look at the sizing chart and you will see the drum size you need is "medium".
- Now pick the style you would like and order the correct Shade Cover shape & size:
How do I use my Shade Cover?
Installing a Shade Cover is easy as putting on a T-Shirt. Remove the shade from your lamp base. Pull the stretchable Shade Cover over the top of the shade pulling down until it is securely in place. Reinstall the shade on your lamp. Instructional video
How do I keep my Shade Cover looking nice?
Lampshade Shade Covers are extremely durable and go on and off with ease. They can be vacuumed in place, taken off and shaken and are machine washable in cold water, NO BLEACH. Tumble dry on low heat and replace on shade.
Other Recent Articles in How-To's & Tips...
Why Lighting Matters - Lighting Tips
Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease
6 OUT OF 10 HOMES in America have Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease YOURS MAY BE ONE OF THEM
Does your home suffer from the following symptoms:
- Cheap brass or painted fixtures that can't withstand winter storms or summer sun
- Unattractive Outdoor Lights that don't match the style of your home
- Plain “builder model” outdoor lights that are just too small
- (Front lights should be about 25% as high as your front door)
- The strange feeling that your old light fixtures are hurting your “curb appeal” and dragging down your home's value?
Bathroom Lighting Tips
Great Bathroom lighting is achieved from several layers of light. Vanity lights should be complimented with recessed, natural and if you have room, a semi flush light. .
6 Essential Outdoor Lighting Tips
Pendant Lighting Basics
Decorating with Lighting
Home Decor & Accessories
Space Saving Tips
Check out these easy solutions for controlling the clutter:
Flush & Semi-Flush Basics
Sconce Lighting Basics
Project Ideas Starter Kit
Decorative Lighting Tips
Comply w/California Title 20
The lighting-related goals behind Title 20 — passed in December 2008 — are to reduce average statewide electrical energy consumption by not less than 50 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor residential lighting, and not less than 25 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor commercial and outdoor lighting by 2018.
How to Choose Your Style
Lighting Tips Lamp Placement
- For reading, place lamp alongside your shoulder, with the bottom of the shade even with your head. Extra tall lamps should be moved back 2 feet if possible.
- Use several lamps in a room to avoid shadows and dark areas. (One standard lamp will illuminate 40-50 square feet.)
- Desk lamps should focus light on the work surface and be adjustable. The light should be about 15 inches from your desktop.
Tips for Lamps
Effective Kitchen Lighting
World's Best Lighting Glossary
Lighting Function Basics
Lighting Tip Articles
Lighting Tips for Seniors
CFLs perform best in open fixtures that allow airflow, such as table and floor lamps, wall sconces, pendants, and outdoor fixtures.
For recessed fixtures, it is better to use a reflector CFL than a spiral CFL since the design of the reflector evenly distributes the light down to your task area.If a light fixture is connected to a dimmer or three-way socket fixture, you'll need to use a special ENERGY STAR qualified CFL designed to work in these applications. Make sure to look for CFLs that specify use with dimmers or three-way fixtures.X
How to Install a Chandelier
Install your light right, the first time with these tips:
- For this project we will need a Screwdriver and Wire Cutters.
- Go to the Breaker Box and turn off the power and lights. Make Sure light is off by checking the light switch.
Installing a Bath Light Fixture
Tips for your next home remodeling project. Remodeling your bath can be quick and easy if you follow these steps
See all the instructions here>
The 4 Light Home Makeover
Caring for tiffany glass
Tips on Gift-Giving
Energy Saving Lighting Tips
Dorm decorating tips
Choosing decorative lighting
Upgrade Your Lighting
Where to begin?
Kitchen Lighting Basics
Ceiling Fan Rotation Guide
Benefits of Standing Up to Work
Have you seen this?
Lamp Shades On Sale
Browse All Lamp Shades
Top 10 Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything