Caring for tiffany glass
Adding a Tiffany lamp can create a colorful focal piece for your room. Here are a few tips to care for your new tiffany light.
- New Tiffany Shades often are shipped with a thin protective sealer. This can be wiped off with a clean cloth when you unpack it.
- Cleaning in the future is the same. Wipe down with a clean damp soft cloth.
- To reseal your shade, you can wipe it down once a year with a good quality Lemon Oil. This will help seal the copper foil and will prevent glass from getting dusty.
- The beading that connects the glass pieces in Tiffany style lamps is copper foil, NOT lead based material any longer. When the shade is being made, it is dipped in a solution that darkens the copper and takes away its shine.
Tiffany lamp buying tips
- LampsUSA only sells genuine tiffany GLASS shades. But even true glass is sometimes mistaken for a plastic. Why? Because when you tap it it sounds like plastic. In reality it has this sound because of the construction technique. Art glass is poured out as a liquid into thin sheets allowed to cool then cut into different sizes and shapes. Then when the pieces of Art glass are totally encased in the copper bead, it tends to dull the sound.
- The beauty of tiffany glass is in the multi-colored rainbow of attractive glass panels. Be aware of the colors and try to match them with your current décor. But remember, the whole point of having a colorful tiffany lamp or tiffany light fixture is to add a burst of color, so don’t be afraid to introduce new colors to your room.
- Consider using energy-saving CFL bulbs with your new tiffany shade. CFL bulbs work great with tiffany since most users want a little brighter, whiter light that will make the shade explode with color. And since genuine glass panels are thick, you need lots of light to penetrate these panels.
Other Recent Articles in How-To's & Tips...
Why Lighting Matters - Lighting Tips
Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease
6 OUT OF 10 HOMES in America have Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease YOURS MAY BE ONE OF THEM
Does your home suffer from the following symptoms:
- Cheap brass or painted fixtures that can't withstand winter storms or summer sun
- Unattractive Outdoor Lights that don't match the style of your home
- Plain “builder model” outdoor lights that are just too small
- (Front lights should be about 25% as high as your front door)
- The strange feeling that your old light fixtures are hurting your “curb appeal” and dragging down your home's value?
Bathroom Lighting Tips
Great Bathroom lighting is achieved from several layers of light. Vanity lights should be complimented with recessed, natural and if you have room, a semi flush light. .
6 Essential Outdoor Lighting Tips
Pendant Lighting Basics
Decorating with Lighting
Home Decor & Accessories
Space Saving Tips
Check out these easy solutions for controlling the clutter:
Flush & Semi-Flush Basics
Sconce Lighting Basics
Project Ideas Starter Kit
Decorative Lighting Tips
Comply w/California Title 20
The lighting-related goals behind Title 20 — passed in December 2008 — are to reduce average statewide electrical energy consumption by not less than 50 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor residential lighting, and not less than 25 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor commercial and outdoor lighting by 2018.
How to Choose Your Style
Lighting Tips Lamp Placement
- For reading, place lamp alongside your shoulder, with the bottom of the shade even with your head. Extra tall lamps should be moved back 2 feet if possible.
- Use several lamps in a room to avoid shadows and dark areas. (One standard lamp will illuminate 40-50 square feet.)
- Desk lamps should focus light on the work surface and be adjustable. The light should be about 15 inches from your desktop.
Tips for Lamps
Effective Kitchen Lighting
World's Best Lighting Glossary
Lighting Function Basics
Lighting Tip Articles
Lighting Tips for Seniors
CFLs perform best in open fixtures that allow airflow, such as table and floor lamps, wall sconces, pendants, and outdoor fixtures.
For recessed fixtures, it is better to use a reflector CFL than a spiral CFL since the design of the reflector evenly distributes the light down to your task area.If a light fixture is connected to a dimmer or three-way socket fixture, you'll need to use a special ENERGY STAR qualified CFL designed to work in these applications. Make sure to look for CFLs that specify use with dimmers or three-way fixtures.X
How to Recover a Lampshade
Once you purchase a new shade cover in a fabric and size that matches your existing lampshade, slip it over the shade and you're done! Updating your room’s décor, renewing an old lampshade, or providing a burst of color takes only minutes when you use a shade cover.
They are form fitting, removable and stretch to fit most lampshade sizes. They give your lamp and your room a whole new look, it is like getting a whole new lamp! Shade covers also protect brand new lampshades and keep them fresh for years to come.
How to Install a Chandelier
Install your light right, the first time with these tips:
- For this project we will need a Screwdriver and Wire Cutters.
- Go to the Breaker Box and turn off the power and lights. Make Sure light is off by checking the light switch.
Installing a Bath Light Fixture
Tips for your next home remodeling project. Remodeling your bath can be quick and easy if you follow these steps
See all the instructions here>
The 4 Light Home Makeover
Tips on Gift-Giving
Energy Saving Lighting Tips
Dorm decorating tips
Choosing decorative lighting
Upgrade Your Lighting
Where to begin?
Kitchen Lighting Basics
Ceiling Fan Rotation Guide
Benefits of Standing Up to Work
Have you seen this?
Top 10 Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything