Tips on Gift-Giving
How do you choose just the right gift for someone special? First ask about the persons interests, hobbies, passions, etc. Consider their personality. Are they practical, whimsical, organized, care-free, casual, formal, a prankster, etc?
Ask questions like:
- What is their lifestyle? What is their age? Where do they live (climate, urban/rural)
- What do they do with their free time? What grade or profession are they in?
- What culture/heritage/religion are they? What style of home, furniture, clothes, etc. do they like?
The answers to these questions will help you create a gift-giving "profile", which will help you to narrow your gift choices. Home decor items like lamps, clocks, art, and giftware make great gifts because they will be used by the special person everyday. Every time they use your gift, they will think of your thoughtfulness.
Unlike larger ticket purchases like furniture, decor items fit into most normal gift price ranges and can reflect your good taste without disrupting the recipients theme or the rooms' style. Lamps are a great addition to a room, to help brighten dark corners or the highlight dimly lit work areas. Clocks are a classy gift. Just like watches, clocks can be given for special occasions like graduations, anniversaries, weddings, birthdays, etc. They will be looked at often, and have traditionally been given for special occasions. Home Decor and giftware items can add an individual flare to a room and can reveal your thoughtfulness, being sensitive to the recipient's style and fashion taste. Gift basket can be loaded with lots of goodies.
Smart Gift Shopping
To help stretch your gift-giving dollar and reduce returns, try these tips:
- Plan ahead! Keep a list of birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
- Purchase a gift when you find it, even if the occasion is several months away.
- Select quality gifts and choose color/style to please the recipient.
- When in doubt, choose gifts that they will actually use. Practical items are usually better than novelty,
Gifts do not have to be expensive to be appreciated or appropriate. Gifts that show your time and effort are just as special as expensive ones. Mom was right, its the thought that counts, and If you can surprise them with your thoughtfulness, you will be remembered.
- Avoid religious gifts except for close family members of the same religion.
- Save your receipts just in case a return or an exchange is necessary.
- The humane society does not recommend pets as proper gifts.
- Stick with the recipient's favorite brands
Gifts for Special Occasions
Mother's/Father's Day: Don't forget mom or dad on their special day. Choose a gift that will reflect how much you appreciate how much they have done for you.
Wedding/Anniversary: Choose a gift the couple will use, remember and appreciate. Home decor items make great wedding or anniversary gifts. Its fun to follow the Traditional and Modern anniversary gift chart.
Retirement: Clocks make great retirement gifts. Many clocks include a brass plate to engrave a special message
Other Recent Articles in How-To's & Tips...
Why Lighting Matters - Lighting Tips
Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease
6 OUT OF 10 HOMES in America have Distressed Outdoor Lighting Disease YOURS MAY BE ONE OF THEM
Does your home suffer from the following symptoms:
- Cheap brass or painted fixtures that can't withstand winter storms or summer sun
- Unattractive Outdoor Lights that don't match the style of your home
- Plain “builder model” outdoor lights that are just too small
- (Front lights should be about 25% as high as your front door)
- The strange feeling that your old light fixtures are hurting your “curb appeal” and dragging down your home's value?
Bathroom Lighting Tips
Great Bathroom lighting is achieved from several layers of light. Vanity lights should be complimented with recessed, natural and if you have room, a semi flush light. .
6 Essential Outdoor Lighting Tips
Pendant Lighting Basics
Decorating with Lighting
Home Decor & Accessories
Space Saving Tips
Check out these easy solutions for controlling the clutter:
Flush & Semi-Flush Basics
Sconce Lighting Basics
Project Ideas Starter Kit
Decorative Lighting Tips
Comply w/California Title 20
The lighting-related goals behind Title 20 — passed in December 2008 — are to reduce average statewide electrical energy consumption by not less than 50 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor residential lighting, and not less than 25 percent from the 2007 levels for indoor commercial and outdoor lighting by 2018.
How to Choose Your Style
Lighting Tips Lamp Placement
- For reading, place lamp alongside your shoulder, with the bottom of the shade even with your head. Extra tall lamps should be moved back 2 feet if possible.
- Use several lamps in a room to avoid shadows and dark areas. (One standard lamp will illuminate 40-50 square feet.)
- Desk lamps should focus light on the work surface and be adjustable. The light should be about 15 inches from your desktop.
Tips for Lamps
Effective Kitchen Lighting
World's Best Lighting Glossary
Lighting Function Basics
Lighting Tip Articles
Lighting Tips for Seniors
CFLs perform best in open fixtures that allow airflow, such as table and floor lamps, wall sconces, pendants, and outdoor fixtures.
For recessed fixtures, it is better to use a reflector CFL than a spiral CFL since the design of the reflector evenly distributes the light down to your task area.If a light fixture is connected to a dimmer or three-way socket fixture, you'll need to use a special ENERGY STAR qualified CFL designed to work in these applications. Make sure to look for CFLs that specify use with dimmers or three-way fixtures.X
How to Recover a Lampshade
Once you purchase a new shade cover in a fabric and size that matches your existing lampshade, slip it over the shade and you're done! Updating your room’s décor, renewing an old lampshade, or providing a burst of color takes only minutes when you use a shade cover.
They are form fitting, removable and stretch to fit most lampshade sizes. They give your lamp and your room a whole new look, it is like getting a whole new lamp! Shade covers also protect brand new lampshades and keep them fresh for years to come.
How to Install a Chandelier
Install your light right, the first time with these tips:
- For this project we will need a Screwdriver and Wire Cutters.
- Go to the Breaker Box and turn off the power and lights. Make Sure light is off by checking the light switch.
Installing a Bath Light Fixture
Tips for your next home remodeling project. Remodeling your bath can be quick and easy if you follow these steps
See all the instructions here>
The 4 Light Home Makeover
Caring for tiffany glass
Energy Saving Lighting Tips
Dorm decorating tips
Choosing decorative lighting
Upgrade Your Lighting
Where to begin?
Kitchen Lighting Basics
Ceiling Fan Rotation Guide
Benefits of Standing Up to Work
Have you seen this?
Top 10 Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything
View all Browse Everything