Energy Saving Lighting Tips Page 3
Posted on June 05, 2015 by Ed L | 0 comments
The biggest question we get these days is “What can I do to save on my electric bill?” We’ve found that most people want to conserve, but not if it costs lots of money or if the light doesn’t meet their standards. Today’s energy efficient lighting options are economical and provide superior light. Here are some great ways you can reduce your energy consumption and save $ today.
CFL Bulbs – These swirly Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are a great first step. Pick an area you need bright light, where dimming is not necessary. Like your basement, closet, or outside. If you already have these areas covered, think where else you could use them. Your favorite reading lamp? Bathroom vanity? Hallway light? For every bulb you use, you will reduce your energy usage by up to 75%, and the bulb will last for many years!
Ceiling Fans– Reduce your air conditioning bill by installing more ceiling fans and run them more often. Be sure fan runs counter-clockwise in the summer to provide constant air movement to cool you down naturally. Make sure to shut them off when you leave the room. The cooling effect only comes when the moving air is blowing against your skin. Bonus tip – run the fan clockwise in the winter to keep warm air from gathering on the ceiling. The clockwise motion will move the warm air out towards your walls and down, keeping you toasty. You should only run the fans on a low setting in the Winter to move the air. Anything more is wasted energy.
- Energy Saving Light Fixtures– Energy Star now certifies hundreds of light fixtures. Most come with Energy saving bulb included. The most common uses are closets, hallways, lamps, outdoor, but feel free to use your imagination.
- Photocell / Motion Detector lights– Many outdoor lights come with an integrated Photocell, so you never have to worry about the light being left on all day. Motion lights are great theft deterants too.
- Task Lighting– Why drown a room with light when you only need intense light in one spot? Sounds like a job for a good task light.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room –Pretty simple, because the most energy efficient light is the one that is turned off.
- Install a Dimmer –Dimmers are great for using only the light you need, saving you money. Plus you get the added bonus of "setting the mood" and making your room look better.
Other Related Articles in How-To's & Tips...
Install your light right, the first time with these tips:
- For this project we will need a Screwdriver and Wire Cutters.
- Go to the Breaker Box and turn off the power and lights. Make Sure light is off by checking the light switch.
Tips for your next home remodeling project. Remodeling your bath can be quick and easy if you follow these steps
See all the instructions here>
LampsUSA only sells GENUINE TIFFANY GLASS shades. But even true glass is sometimes mistaken for a plastic. Why? Because when you tap it it sounds like plastic. In reality it has this sound because of the construction technique. Art glass is poured out as a liquid into thin sheets allowed to cool then cut into different sizes and shapes. Then when the pieces of Art glass are totally encased in the copper bead, it tends to dull the sound.
Have you seen this?
Top 10 15% Off Most Items
View all 15% Off Most Items
$95.99 $157.99 In StockQuickShip
$79.99 $169.99 In StockQuickShip
$29.99 $89.99 In StockQuickShip
$49.99 $63.99 A few left!QuickShip
$95.99 $162.99 A few left!
View all 15% Off Most Items
More Guides:Buyer's Guides
We know you're thinking about shopping - get informed and make a great decision with our buyer's guides!Lighting Galleries
View the hottest trends in interior design and get inspired to give your rooms a makeover!Get The Look
Want a sneak peek into what America's best interior decorators are using this year? We bring you the HOTTEST room looks. Plus we show how you can "get the look" from America's top lighting designers for lessBlog
Catch up on the latest news, trends and stories through our dedicated LampsUSA Blog