Pendant Lighting Buyer's Guide in Buyer's Guides
Pendants have become increasingly popular when current kitchen trends moved to an open floor plan, placing the kitchen into the public area and increasing its usage as a gathering space. Pendants help break up the open space and provided comfortable lighting with a dramatic visual impact. They are designed as great decorative lighting, which says a lot about your personal style. Decorative lighting is meant to be seen and add huge visual style to a room. Because of this, pendants come in a large array of colors, designs, and sizes.
Looking at the pendant lights on sale today, you might find yourself overwhelmed with such an array of styles, colors, and designs to choose from. Although you might be tempted to immediately purchase the first pendant light design that takes your fancy, it is important that you actually purchase one that will fit your home, your style and your lighting needs. In order to do this, it might be helpful to know specific criteria in choosing the right fixture. Here are four tips on how to buy a pendant light that is perfect for the specific needs of your living space.
Assess Your Current Home Décor
Start things off by visualizing the space that you want to install a pendant light in and create a mental picture of the exact look that you want to achieve.
Browse lighting to look for pendant lights that would fit the design style of the room and the statement you envisioned.
- Pendant lights in dark colors are easier to clean than those with lighter colors. Check out Dark Finish Pendants and Black Pendant Lighting products!
- Size of pendants should be proportionate to the size of the room, number of pendants, and length of space.
Determine the number of pendant lights needed
- Use multiple pendants for spaces longer than 4 feet.
- 60-75 watts are recommended for every 20 inches of counter space.
- Odd over even number of pendants are preference, as it provides a sense of balance, and visual appeal. While the odd number rule is important, it’s also important to consider situations where three pendant lights are too few, and five pendant lights are too overwhelming. Even-numbered décor is acceptable for practical reasons.
Determine the height
- The height should be close enough for lighting the space while providing an unobstructed view both sitting and standing.
- Pendant lights should be between 28 to 38 inches above the surface of the table or island where it is situated over. Assess the distance between the ceiling and the place where you want the lowest portion (in this case, the pendant) of your light will be.
- If you don’t have a countertop, island, or table over which you want to install pendants, the fixtures should be about 72 inches above the floor.
Choose your mounting point
- The general design of a pendant light can be pretty straightforward, although there are actually different mounting points from which a pendant light is hung from a ceiling.
- A monopoint pendant is suspended from a single fixture on the ceiling (which usually also covers the light box). This type of pendant light offers the most versatility, as you can install individual pendants anywhere you want on the ceiling. Should you only need one or two pendant lights, this is your best choice.
- A monorail mounting points is a single track used to hang pendants from the ceiling. The track itself can be a point of aesthetic fascination. In fact, a group of pendant lights arranged around a creatively designed circular track can make just as good a centerpiece as a conventional chandelier.
- A multipoint mount closely resembles track lighting, and most people who employ this kind of pendant lighting use wires instead of down rods for their pendant lights. These pendant lights are great for bedrooms or places where you are allowed to push the bounds of creativity.
Questions to Ask Yourself before Purchase
What is your purpose for buying a pendant light?
Do you need it to light up your study table or your kitchen table? For busy work areas, you will need something that offers a lot of direct lighting in that particular space. On the other hand, if you need pendant lights largely for their design, you can opt for less bright lighting, or you can get yourself a dimmer switch. You can also achieve mood lighting with a pendant light that does not necessarily have too much brightness.
Low voltage and line voltage pendant lights?
Low voltage pendants have one distinct advantage: they are considerably less expensive than standard voltage pendants. They also have smaller bulbs and subsequently smaller light fixtures which is good if you’re looking to save on space. If pendants are for task lighting standard voltage is recommended, low voltage/LED lighting is more for atmospheric lighting than task.
What kind of shade do I want?
Translucent lights are less limited when it comes to filtering light. This means that it illuminates the space around it in addition to the space below. Solid shades, on the other hand, cast light in a mostly downward direction. This is an important consideration, depending how you would like the light to give off. If you don’t want your pendants to cast a glow, you’re better off with solid shades.
Lighting Trends: What is In?
Pendant lights are valued mostly as task lighting fixtures as they are used to provide illumination for specific tasks. This is why they are most often installed in kitchens. Pendant light fixtures can also make appearances in other parts of the house because of their distinctive down rods, which appeal largely to minimal themes. Family rooms, living rooms and mini bars are places that are benefitting more and more from the installation of pendant lights. They have even made their way into the bathroom! Check out the bathroom lighting buying guide for bathroom lighting tips on pendant lights.
LED lights in pendant lighting fixtures are on the rise, especially for those homeowners that like colored lights. Although a little more expensive, colored LED lights provide more vivid colors compared to incandescent lighting. Mini bars are good places for colored pendant lights.
Tiffany & Art-Glass Pendants
Kitchen Island Pendants
Other Related Articles in Buyer's Guides...
How to Buy a Wall Sconce
Lampshade Buyer's Guide
Reading lamps need a wider shade to provide plenty of light.
Consider the Room - What is the color and style of your room? Will the lamp have a starring role or compliment its surroundings?
Crystal Clear Lamp
Crystal Clear is popularly known for its fine detailing, excellent quality and designs. The designs also vary from traditional, modern and contemporary to suit personal tastes. They are considered as treasures of today and heirlooms of tomorrow.
Crystal Clear lamps were produced in a wide variety of types such as: table lamps, ceiling lamps, bathroom fixtures and floor lamps. Crystal Clear lamps usually have fabric lampshades with a solid metal base. The fabric lampshades offer an amazing variety of fabrics to choose from. The solid metal base also offers a wide variety of rich finishes that can suit the décor of your home.The lampshades are also available in wide variety of shapes and colors such that they suit and enhance the environment you choose to place them.
Full Spectrum Buyer's Guide
Full Spectrum lamps harness the full range of UV light that the sun provides. Full spectrum lamps cast a clean and true light, and effectively emulates the sun. This is especially useful for those who benefit from this type of light. Artists, readers, craftspeople, or those who are unable to spend much time in natural sunlight benefit from balanced, full spectrum lamps
Task Lamp Buyer's Guide
Having trouble sewing, reading, or typing because of inadequate and improper lighting? A task lamp should allow you to do these intricate and detailed work with the least eye strain and troubles. Such lamps have been specifically designed so that you are provided with proper illumination to efficiently perform task or hobbies that require extensive lighting.
Looking for the perfect task lamp does not have to be as hard as you might think it is. You only need to keep in mind a few factors and tips and you should be on your merry way of enjoying your new task lamp in your workplace.
Have you seen this?
Pendants On Sale
Mini Pendants Category
Mini Pendants On Sale
Top 10 Pendants
View all Pendants
View all Pendants